Re: [vserver] CentOS 5 Samba problem

From: Bruno Prémont <bonbons_at_linux-vserver.org>
Date: Sat 13 Aug 2011 - 18:12:57 BST

On Sat, 13 August 2011 Guenther Fuchs <vserver@muh.at> wrote:
> hi there,
>
> using Daniel Hozak's 2.6.22.19-vs2.3.0.34.1 kernel I ran into a major
> problem with the samba service: A yet running samba servicing guest
> copied from an old backup to hte freshly installed CO5 machine with a/m
> kernel has not been able to serve samba services anymore. All other IP
> based services (SSH, webserver, etc) run fully identical to the old
> system, but the connecting to the (unchangend) samba service is no more
> possible since the upgrade.
>
> What I did:
>
> .) rsynced the machine onto a backup disk using
> rsync -aHXPxv --delete
> .) re-installed the system (Intel Atom CPU 330) from latest Debian
> "stable" kernel to a fresh CO5 sys
> old: 2.6.26-2-vserver-amd64 (Debian stable standard 0.30.216-pre2772
> kernel)
> new: 2.6.22.19-vs2.3.0.34.1 (dhozac repo supplied; installed from a
> mirror)
           ^^^^^^^^^ is that really 2.6.22?? So downgrade of kernel?

> .) "cp -pr" config and vdir data to same loations as previousely
> .) issued vserver [samba-guest] start
> .) checked all services: up an running, not showing anything in the
> samba log's at all.
>
> Windows error message is useless, as "normal": (German) "Auf \\Samba
> kann nicht zugegriffen werden .... Der Netzwerkpfad wurde nicht gefunden"
>
> Would really like to avoid re-installation of the old Debian system as
> I'm not too familiar with Debian at all. So if anyone has a hint / guess
> where this problem comes from, pls feel welcome to let me know.

Could it be related to netbios/broadcast?

Usually Windows looks around for systems by sending UDP broadcast which
can be problematic under network contexts. (unless there is AD active with
DNS)

Can you reach the server via its IP address \\a.b.c.d\ instead of by name?

Might help to add your subnet's broadcast address to those addresses
available to your samba guest.

Note: what Windows version is it you are using? Vista/Win7 might also try
some IPv6 access.

You might get some hints by sniffing the Windows box's network activity.

Bruno