Re: [vserver] Automatic gratuitous ARP on startup

From: Michael S. Zick <mszick_at_morethan.org>
Date: Thu 18 Aug 2011 - 06:53:53 BST

On Thu August 18 2011, Christian Balzer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Anyways, I would love to issue a gratuitous ARP (arping) when a vserver
> comes up, using the normal vserver-util framework. My hope is to find
> something akin to the "up do-stuff" ability of /etc/network/interfaces
> control file for ifup/ifdown.

Those should be called at the expected times, if that guest context
has an "init system" that uses them.

Since each guest has its own "init system", often specified when you
first build the context, each guest might be running a different sort
of "init system". Possibly one without any scripting at all.

And of course, the host has its own "init system", including scripting
hooks and scripting which starts the guests.

With that in mind, couldn't you just run arp/arping/arpwatch when desired
in each guest's start-up files as appropriate?
Presuming your guests where built to use start-up files.

Mike