Re: [vserver] ext4 inode tagging

From: Roberto Puzzanghera <admin_at_sagredo.eu>
Date: Sat 14 Jan 2012 - 20:47:25 GMT

Hi Corey,

[...]
> roberto, are you wanting to use disk limits
> (http://linux-vserver.org/Disk_Limits_and_Quota) or user/group quotas
> (http://linux-vserver.org/Quotas) on ext4?
>
> you said you were "following the howto on the wiki" and that included
> mounting with "-o tag". the disk limits wiki page details mounting with "-o
> tag" (and appears to be the only wiki page that includes that:
> http://www.google.com/search?q=site:linux-vserver.org+%22-o+tag%22) and disk
> limits haven't worked on ext4 for some time
> (http://list.linux-vserver.org/archive?mss:4959:201104:cnkmighjiiigipolfgel
> and attached log).
>
> but in your mount options you are using jqfmt, usrjquota,& grpjquota, which
> is for (journalling) user/group quotas, not "disk limits". if you want
> user/group quotas, then i don't believe tagging is necessary (or at least the
> linux-vserver quotas wiki page doesn't specify such).
>
> if you can clarify what you are trying to accomplish (ie "user/group quotas"
> or "disk limits"), then your problem can probably be addressed more quickly
> (eg if you want to do disk limits on ext4, then i could have told you it
> probably doesn't work as testfs.sh says it "fails" from at least 2.6.35
> through the latest 3.0.16 and following the disk limit instructions
> probably won't enable user/group quotas).

I'm successfully using users/groups quota on Kernel: 3.1.4-vs2.3.2.1
according to the wiki page you have metioned above and now, for the
first time, I'm going to use disk limits. I can get disk limits working
on ext3 of course.
The testfs script seems to show that ext4 inode tagging is working fine,
but despite of the fact that I mount the partion in this way inside fstab:

/dev/sda3 /usr/local ext4
data=ordered,rw,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,tag
1 2

as Herbert pointed out, the tagging is not recognized during the mounting.

I don't have ideas on the purpose, and google searching produced
anything, anyway tonight, during users' sleep time, I will try again.

Also I would like to know if the failed tag option recognition is an
issue which just comes with ext4, or is an issue related to
linux-vserver and ext4.

Thank you, best regards
Roberto Puzzanghera