Re: [vserver] Ubuntu 10.4.4, cron and upstart

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Thu 15 Mar 2012 - 08:59:50 GMT

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 10:25:45AM +1030, Mike O'Connor wrote:
> Hi All

> I've been trying to get a Ubuntu 10.4.4 running as a guest for
> a while now and in general the wiki notes about upstart have
> helped, but as seen below I still have an issue with CRON and
> it not being able to connect to upstart.

> root@support:~# service cron start
> start: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket
> /com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused

that sounds like either nothing is listening there or upstart
is actively rejecting the connection

> root@support:~#

> We are running kernel 2.6.36 with patches vs2.3.0.36.38 and
> util-vserver version 0.30.216-pre2925

I'd suggest to update to a 3.x kernel and recent util-vserver
mainly for security reasons (nothing specific)

> Any ideas how I might fix this issue ?

well, first, check that upstart is happily running inside the
guest, otherwise you won't be able to contact it.

assuming that is the case, I'd double check that you do not
use the single ip special casing, and/or configure (that's
probably a tricky thing to do :) upstart to allow connections
from the single guest IP instead of 127.0.0.1

HTH,
Herbert