Re: [vserver] Ubuntu 10.4.4, cron and upstart

From: Dan Urist <durist_at_ucar.edu>
Date: Fri 16 Mar 2012 - 15:09:36 GMT

FWIW, I've found upstart to be utterly unreliable in ubuntu 10.04
vservers (running under Debian lenny and squeeze). I've tried the
recommendations in the wiki; sometimes services start, sometimes they
don't. I've seen this especially with cron.

Since I'm managing the vservers with puppet, I'm using it to distribute
real sysv-init scripts (stolen from debian) for the few system daemons
that need to run, like cron. At least upstart is pretty reliable for
running the sysv-init stuff. It's a crappy solution, but it works for
me. I'm hoping things get better in the next Ubuntu LTS release.

--
Dan Urist
durist@ucar.edu