[vserver] Re: [zfs-discuss] Re: ZoL + MySQL server

From: Eugen Leitl <eugen_at_leitl.org>
Date: Thu 13 Dec 2012 - 15:07:55 GMT

----- Forwarded message from Gordan Bobic <gordan.bobic@gmail.com> -----

From: Gordan Bobic <gordan.bobic@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 15:04:36 +0000
To: zfs-discuss@zfsonlinux.org
Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] Re: ZoL + MySQL server

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 2:51 PM, James Bailey <paradoxbound@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13 December 2012 14:30, Gordan Bobic <gordan.bobic@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> You forget Vserver, the best one of the lot. :)
>
> I have always been a fan of the system and kernel level apps. used
> virtuozzo extensively at a hosting company and did some horrendous
> overloading but it coped.
>
> I have never used Vserver and must confess I got it mixed up with the
> Linux Virtual Server. I am looking for some simple lightweight
> virtualisation/isolation for some large VPS. Lets see if this fits
> the bill.

The killer feature of Vserver that none of the others have (and Solaris zones
guidelines for bind-mounting /usr read-only try to approximate (poorly)) is
the hashification of the files - it can search the guest subtrees for identical
files between guests, and comes with a CoW hardlink feature for the
supported file systems (ext* at the moment). So both the disk and memory
requirements can go down dramatically.

I've been wanting such a CoW hardlink breaking feature in ZoL for ages.

Gordan

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Eugen* Leitl leitl http://leitl.org