[vserver] Re: [zfs-discuss] Re: ZoL + MySQL server

From: Eugen Leitl <eugen_at_leitl.org>
Date: Thu 13 Dec 2012 - 15:19:55 GMT

----- Forwarded message from Gordan Bobic <gordan.bobic@gmail.com> -----

From: Gordan Bobic <gordan.bobic@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 15:12:45 +0000
To: zfs-discuss@zfsonlinux.org
Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] Re: ZoL + MySQL server

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Eugen Leitl <eugen@leitl.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 02:51:10PM +0000, James Bailey wrote:
>> On 13 December 2012 14:30, Gordan Bobic <gordan.bobic@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > You forget Vserver, the best one of the lot. :)
>
> Linux VServer patch works very well in practice. Unfortunately,
> LXC (a much less mature technology) made the cut into the kernel,
> and VServer didn't.
>
> Long-term it looks like Linux VServer (and OpenVZ) is doomed, as e.g.
> OpenQRM dropped VServer support while LXC is supported, ditto OpenStack.

I'm not at all convinced. LXC seems downright abandoned compared to the
other two, upstream or not. It's documentation was also pretty much non-existant
last time I checked.

Also, at least a while back, certain functionality of OpenVZ and
Vserver was being
pushed upstream and consolidated with LXC, so the differences between them are
shrinking.

Unless I'm very badly misremembering, OpenStack on ARM is using Vserver. I
also can't help but feel at least partially responsible for that:
http://www.paul.sladen.org/vserver/archives/201103/0081.html
I had helped with dietlibc debugging on ARM specifically for Vserver userspace.

Anyway, I'm confident that Vserver isn't going away any time soon. :-)

Gordan

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Eugen* Leitl leitl http://leitl.org