Re: [vserver] ulimit: core file size

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 12:21:32 GMT

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 10:41:41AM +0000, Phil Daws wrote:
> Hello,

> am testing kernel 3.7.7 with patch set 2.3.5.6 but for some
> reason am experiencing the following within a guest:

> ulimit: core file size: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted

> have compared to a Production server that is running
> 3.4.18-vs2.3.3.8 and that does not exhibit the same problem.

> Have I missed a kernel option or has something changed ?

AFAIK nothing has changed and I don't recall any Kernel
option which would affect this, but ...

 when VXC_SET_RLIMIT is not set (guest capability),
 then setting a limit which is _higher_ than the old
 one will fail with EPERM, but succeed if equal or
 lower

so please double check the following:

 - do both setups run without VXC_SET_RLIMIT?
 - are the host limits (they might be inherited) the same?
 - are guest ulimits configured in /etc/vservers the same?
 - do the guests try to set the same value?

another possibility is that the problematic guest
does two modifications, first, to a lower value (maybe
even 0) and then back to a higher one?

if all that doesn't help, please prepare a test case
which exposes the problem so that we can do some testing
(maybe there is a bug in the latest patch :)