Re: [vserver] Kernel panic - not syncing

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Tue 27 Aug 2013 - 23:17:19 BST

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 02:26:25PM -0700, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> On 08/27/2013 01:32 PM, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 09:31:41PM +0200, Roman Pretory wrote:
>>> update....

>>> the same error after a fresh installed und updated system
>>> (Centos 6.4) without LVM.

>> And do you have a boot log to share with us? :)

> Does anyone have suggestions for the linux semi-admin on how
> to get CentOS to append to the boot.log file instead of
> overwrite it?

> I am having no success finding anything on how to do this.

I'm pretty sure that the boot.log is written when the
kernel has successfully started init and some script or
process on the root filesystem contacts the kernel and
copies the dmesg data to that file.

So in the case where the boot panics before init is
started (and has a working rootfs) no boot.log will be
written at all.

Nevertheless, there are some methods to get that boot
log from the initramfs, but it might need a few dirty
tricks or hacks :)

> Rod
> --

>> best,