Re: [vserver] Recent beng kernels don't boot

From: Rúben Leote Mendes <ruben_at_nocturno.org>
Date: Tue 01 Oct 2013 - 15:44:06 BST

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your answer and for providing the packaged kernels!

Em 01-10-2013 12:58, Ben Green escreveu:
> Quoting Rúben Leote Mendes <ruben@nocturno.org>:
>

>> It also happens with kernel 3.9. If I reboot with kernel 3.4 everything
>> works fine again.
>>
>> It seems to be a problem with mdadm. Is this a known problem (or new
>> feature/config that I am unaware) in recent kernels?
>
> The 3.9 series is already 'end of life' at kernel.org. I won't be
> persuing that line again.
>
> An error in 3.10 is of interest, but I don't have a mdadm based setup
> to try it on. It could easily be the CONFIG I've used or some other
> incompatibility I'm not aware of.
>
> My 3.10 kernels are for testing at this time, and though i'm
> interested in fixing them, I'm not suggesting they be used for
> production servers.
>
> This problem could be as simple as the driver necessary for your discs
> is a module that needs loading. Do you get the same problem when using
> the http://www.lihas.de kernels?

After reading many related bug reports I managed to solve the problem by
appending "rootdelay=1" to the kernel command line.

Then the system boots but hangs while starting DRBD. This happens
because the version of drbd8-utils in wheezy is not compatible with
kernels after 3.7 (it requires a 3.4 version of the utils). To make drbd
work I grabbed drbd8-utils 3.4.3 sources from Ubuntu and compiled them.

This are two issues that wheezy users of recent kernels should be aware.

Thanks!
Ruben