Re: [vserver] converting a vserver host with guests to VMWare guest

From: Eugen Leitl <eugen_at_leitl.org>
Date: Tue 10 Dec 2013 - 20:14:20 GMT

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 07:17:22PM +0100, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 12:04:42PM +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>
> > I've got an old etch host with 2.6.22-4-vserver-amd64 with
> > a couple guests on it I'd like to turn to a VMWare system,
> > as the hardware is on its last legs.
>
> No idea why you would like to turn it into a VMware system,
> but moving a linux host into KVM is rather trivial.

It's for coprophagate reasons. Have to keep it compatible
as $dayjob is VMWare. This is mostly my fault, as anything
involving CLI is not supportable by others, and you can
buy support for VMWare and buy hardware with VMWare certification,
even preinstalled. The licensing costs are negligible
(free ESXi or VMware Essentials), and if license changes
escaping to Xen or KVM is always an option.

> > How would you do it?
>
> Not at all, as I wouldn't use VMware.
>
> > Or would you just move the two guests off it first?
>
> Always an option, reduces overhead and moving Linux-VServer

Thanks.