Re: [vserver] Stable release?

From: <romain+vserver_at_forty-two.fr>
Date: Mon 23 Dec 2013 - 20:05:16 GMT

Hi,

On 17/12/2013 18:19, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
>> About 2 years ago, people donated money in order to support
>> stabilization based on a 3.0.x or 3.x kernel.
>
> And it was well spent on getting a working 3.x branch.
> (3.0, 3.2, 3.4, 3.6-3.10)

Good to know :)

>> The latest information on this is from November 2011:
>
>> stabilization is going slowly, but steady and with
>> good results IMHO, we already rewrote/cleaned up the
>> CoW link breaking and parts of the debug system, and
>> I'm currently preparing an advanced kernel build and
>> test system (but more about that in a later mail :)
>
> Advanced kernel build system died off because nobody except
> us was interested and existing services disappeared.

Fair enough then!

> Well, nobody expected that 3.x will stay a development
> kernel and thus a moving target ...

It seems there has been 3 "longterm" releases in 3.x since the beginning
of 2012 … but I'm not sure that contradicts what you're saying, being a
tad unfamiliar with this kind of terminology. Would you mind claritying?

> Nevertheless, I consider recent 3.x patches at least as
> stable as the mainline kernels, so something like vs2.3.6.8
> should work quite well and provide all the features you
> know from Linux-VServer and mainline.

That would be the key information I'm after. Thanks :)

>> As far as I can tell, there has been no news since, so
>> the official stable Linux-Vserver release is still kernel
>> 2.6.22.19-vs2.2.0.7 from march 2008 :)
>
> Yes, that was the last patch 'officially' labeled 'stable'.
>
>> How is stabilization going nowadays?
>
> At the moment, we are trying to catch up with mainline,
> i.e. 3.12/3.13 and as contributions have basically stopped,
> we are doing the best to maintain the existing patches and
> slowly adapt to recent changes.
>
>> Is there anything one can do to help?
>
> As usual, all help is welcome/appreciated.

How ? :) It is a little difficult to track issues using the mailing-list
alone so I'm not sure what to look for if I want to test a given kernel,
for example.

Cheers

--
Romain
PS: Oh and season's greetings to you all :)