Re: [vserver] cgroups soon incompatible with Libvirt

From: Sergiusz Pawlowicz <sergiusz_at_pawlowicz.name>
Date: Tue 31 Dec 2013 - 02:30:51 GMT

On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 4:56 AM, Sergiusz Pawlowicz
<sergiusz@pawlowicz.name> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 25, 2013 at 8:46 AM, Ben Green <ben@bristolwireless.net> wrote:
>> Quoting Sergiusz Pawlowicz <sergiusz@pawlowicz.name>:
>>

>>> I am not sure how to fix it and enable the structure suggested by Daniel.
>>

>> In order that util-vserver has matching settings I'd do this:
>>
>> service util-vserver stop
>> mount -t tmpfs cgroup_root /sys/fs/cgroup
>> touch /etc/vservers/.defaults/cgroup/per-ss
>> echo "/sys/fs/cgroup" > /etc/vservers/.defaults/cgroup/mnt
>> service util-vserver start
>>
>> The tmpfs mount ensures that util-vserver can create the necessary
>> directories.
>>
>> No idea how you'd get this to work on boot with whatever other process you
>> have mounting the cgroup hierachy.
>
> Hi Ben,
> cgroups work well after your help :-) But mount -t tmpfs cgroup_root
> /sys/fs/cgroup was not required, as ubuntu sets it automatically
> during the startup, using some magic and then
> /usr/sbin/create_default_cgroups

I think we still have some issues with cgroups. My server on 3.10x
line started to freeze.

After downgrading to 3.4x I am able to see one of vservers is rapidly
leaking memory. It seems that probably cgroups on 3.10x kernel are not
preventing from overfilling all RAM, without enforcing cgroup limits.
The funny thing that vserver inside shows that memory is limited, but
it seems it is not being enforced.

Unfortunately I have no serial cable to be able to diagnose what
precisely is going on.

thanks,
Serge