Re: [vserver] vserver and kernel upstream

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Sat 05 Apr 2014 - 13:09:03 BST

On Sat, Apr 05, 2014 at 02:57:22PM +0300, Kevin Wilson wrote:
> Hi,

> AFAIK, vserver is based on a modified kernel, and there
> is no intention to upstream it in the near future.

Correct!

> My question is: why is it in fact so ?

> Is it because the changes to the kernel done by vserver
> are not most likely or inherently to be accepted by the
> kernel community ?

> Or is it simply a matter of too much effort (upstreaming
> is known to be a tough task)

Both actually. I.e. there are political reasons why
upstream doesn't want to incorporate it and it would be
a lot of work to spoon feed small portions upstream while
turning a decade old technology into LXC++ :)

We defined certain interfaces more than ten years ago and
they have proven to be a stable and reliable construct,
but they are not what modern kernel interfaces look like,
so chances that those get accepted upstream are diminishing.

We also do not have the manpower to send a patch dozens
of times trying to make kernel folks happy :)

HTC,
Herbert