Re: [vserver] VPS Restoration using Symantec BackupExec

From: Adrian Reyer <are_at_lihas.de>
Date: Thu 17 Apr 2014 - 07:25:57 BST

Hello Daniel,

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 07:18:31PM +0000, DLASALLE@barreau.qc.ca wrote:
> My organisation has been using Symantec Backup Exec for doing the backups of our VPSes. Now our server died and we are having troubles restoring the backup from the tape. Would anybody have any experience with such setup?

Not exactly with Symantec Backup Exec, but with Atempo Time Navigator,
Arkeia and Bacula/Bareos. What are the issues you experience?
Basically these tools do nothing really special. They grab the files
store them in a more or less well documented format with more or less
success on getting permissions, acls and extended attributes right.
I'd suspect the barrier flag not to be one of those they get right.

> If not, would you happen to have the best practices for backing up Vserver VPSes on tape (which is hosted on a Windows machine)? All that I am able to find are rsync and scp/nfs solutions.

Move the tape to some linux machine. I have never seen a windows-based
backup getting linux backups really right.
You can successfully backup Windows and Linux machines with Bacula or
Bareos, both open source with commercial support available.
If possible I do tape backup to have something for desaster recovery
that is offline and possibly offsite. For the daily restore jobs I use
rsnapshot, basically a wrapper around rsync to a local medium.

Regards,
        Adrian

--
LiHAS - Adrian Reyer - Hessenwiesenstraße 10 - D-70565 Stuttgart
Fon: +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 90 - Fax:  +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 91