Re: [vserver] cannot mount directories with "tag" option

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Thu 05 Jun 2014 - 19:34:54 BST

On Thu, Jun 05, 2014 at 01:23:40PM +0200, Marcus Mülbüsch wrote:
> Hello all,

> After two years of very few updates one of my gentoo
> vserver machines was in an unbootable condition - which
> I found out after an unexpected power loss.

> I decided to finally update the kernel from
> 2.6.35-gentoo-vserver-2.3.0.36.32 to 3.10.40-vs2.3.6.8
> and to do all the updates to openrc, sysinit and udev
> that were necessary.

> Machine boots fine now, except that I cannot mount
> the vserver directories with the "tag" option any more.
> I get a:

> REISERFS warning (device cciss/c0d0p7): super-6502
> reiserfs_getopt: unknown mount option "tag"

That is expected with 3.10.x.

> Here is the relevant entry from my /etc/fstab:

>> /dev/cciss/c0d0p7 /vservers reiserfs
> defaults,noatime,notail,attrs,tag 0 2

> Something has changed since two yeras before and I
> missed it. I searched in vain for a solution...

Yes, reiserfs support was removed after 3.6.x because
nobody seems to be using reiserfs anymore and it was
not worth the efford.

Let me know if you are interested in testing and
maintaining reiserfs specific patches, or want to
sponsor reiserfs specific development for 3.10+

Otherwise I'd suggest to boot/use a 3.6.x kernel and
Linux-VServer patch which still has the relevant
patches and migrate to a different filesystem in
the future.