Re: [vserver] Unable to set vshelper 3.18

From: Etienne Vogt <Etienne.Vogt_at_obspm.fr>
Date: Thu 05 Feb 2015 - 10:20:37 GMT

On Thu, 5 Feb 2015, Ben Green wrote:

>> My hosts also failed booting because of this bug. The wheezy-backports
>> version fixes the script in the initramfs (debian bug #752742). udev
>> does not need uevent_helper anymore, but the script in the initramfs
>> unconditionally write to that file and dies (because of set -e).
>
> I really would not recommend using the util-vserver versions from the Debian
> repositories. The ones I maintain for repo.psand.net are more up to date and
> functional, or you build your own packages.

The problem with linux-image-vserver-3.18-beng and wheezy is not related
with an outdated util-vserver package. With the 0.30.216-pre3062-1 version
in your repo.psand.net repository it doesn't boot either.
It seems that the udev version in wheezy depends on a legacy feature
that has not been compiled in linux-image-vserver-3.18-beng

The symptom is that the root filesystem is not found and the system
drops to the busybox prompt. But the keyboard is not functional either and
you can't do anything but press the hardware reset switch.

--
 		Etienne Vogt (Etienne.Vogt@obspm.fr)
 		Observatoire de Paris-Meudon