Re: [vserver] Moving from Linux-Vserver questions

From: Jean Weisbuch <jean_at_phpnet.org>
Date: Mon 31 Oct 2016 - 17:26:33 GMT

Well, we did move a part of our services from VServer to OpenVZ about 4
or 5 years ago but still have a part on VServer and we are now planning
to move from VZ to something else (LXC or LXC based such as LXD or
Docker depending on our needs).

Moving now to VZ doesnt seems to be the best course, their new version
(7) will now require to use their own CentOS based distribution while
the version 6 had Debian and RH/CentOS repositories that allowed to use
it on the system that you want (and we are a Debian/Ubuntu only company).

Their kernel are always based on RHEL kernel version, so
OpenVZ/Virtuozzo 6 is still stuck in 2.6.32... they backports many
patches and drivers but it still lacks many improvements that could be
found on more modern kernels and you can end up having unusual bugs.

--
Migrating from one to the other (the same goes for LXC) is pretty
simple, the simplest and manual way is to "rsync --numeric-ids -a" your