From: klavs klavsen (kl_at_vsen.dk)
Date: Fri 15 Feb 2002 - 08:25:20 GMT

Hi John,

On Thu, 2002-02-14 at 15:22, John Lyons wrote:

> I'm trying to put together a number of vservers to run apache, php and
> mysql. Easy normally, but I'm making things hard for myself :-)
Don't we all.

> I could install from rpms but that would remove the flexibility to compile
> apache and php with the goodies that we all like to add :-)
yup.

> My guess was that I could get a src.rpm package, modify it to compile in the
> features that I need, create a compiled rpm package that I can then install
> on each vs using the vs tools which will then be capable of being unified.
what I would do, is get a src.rpm - pick out the .spec file..
with rpm2cpio apache.src.rpm | cpio -t (find the exact path of the
apache.spec and run
rpm2cpio apache.src.rpm | cpio -ivd ./patch/to/apache.spec

modify it to suit your needs.. build it. I usually call my apache
packages for apache-KTK-version (this way my upgrade scripts won't think
that my apache packages is the one that is in a newer version on some
update-mirror site..

> Am I on the right lines here and would anyone care to point me in the
> direction of a guide to a DIY src.rpm build. I've compiled packages from
> source and installed rpm's but building an rpm is new ground for me and
> googles not coming up with the goods :-(
you can just build a src.rpm by:
rpm --rebuild apache.src.rpm (I think you can only change Compiler
options, don't know if you can change -configure options - without
disassembling the package and packing it again.. :-)

--
Regards,
Klavs Klavsen

-------------| This mail has been sent to you by: |------------ Klavs Klavsen - OpenSource Consultant kl_at_vsen.dk - http://www.vsen.dk

Get PGP key from www.keyserver.net - Key ID: 0x586D5BCA Fingerprint = A95E B57B 3CE0 9131 9D15 94DA E1CD 641E 586D 5BCA --------------------[ I believe that... ]----------------------- It is a myth that people resist change. People resist what other people make them do, not what they themselves choose to do... That's why companies that innovate successfully year after year seek their peopl's ideas, let them initiate new projects and encourage more experiments. -- Rosabeth Moss Kanter

Generated on Wed 06 Nov 2002 - 07:03:39 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3