From: Paul Sladen (vserver_at_paul.sladen.org)
Date: Sat 13 Jul 2002 - 03:01:01 BST

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Cathy Sarisky wrote:
> I've got fakeinit set in the config file.
>
> Upon vserver startup, a ps reveals the following processes running in the
> /bin/bash /etc/rc.d/rc 5
> /sbin/askrunlevel --interactive

The two ways to start up all the bits, pieces (daemons) within the vserver
is either by calling

  /etc/init.d/rc (Or where-ever it is on non-Debian boxen. :-)

with the runlevel (try 3), or the later hack is to call /sbin/init directly,
along this approach needs a kludge to make it think it now running with the
initial process number.

Yes, it looks like it is starting up and running `/sbin/askrunlevel', check
though `/etc/inittab' and comment out the line that starts this if there is
one.

What happens if your don't do the fakeinit, and do:

  vserver alpha enter
  /etc/init.d/rc 3

directly; this should show in more detail what if loading, and may end up
asking you for input. Again, this is just trying to diagnose it, you've
still got to work out how to disable it! :-)

        -Paul

--
Nottingham, GB