From: Paul Sladen (vserver_at_paul.sladen.org)
Date: Mon 19 Aug 2002 - 11:10:48 BST

On Sun, 18 Aug 2002, George wrote:

> [...] Apache refuses to bind to anything other that the first ip listed,
> VirtualHost, Listen and BindAddress refuse to listen to any other ip
> than the first one listed.

Binding to `0.0.0.0' binds *only* to the first address in a vserver--always
has done. To use extra IP addresses you have to put multiple <VirtualHosts>:

  <VirtualHost 192.168.0.42> # Site on first IP
  </VirtualHost>
  <VirtualHost 192.168.0.42> # Another site on first IP
  </VirtualHost>
  <VirtualHost 192.168.0.42> # Third first IP
  </VirtualHost>
  <VirtualHost 192.168.0.43> # Fourth site Second IP address
  </VirtualHost>

As you may have noticed it is possibley to run multiple websites on a single
IP address (!). Unless you are serving SSL websites there is probably no
reason to be using more than one IP address.

  IP address space is a *scarce resource*, please use it *very carefully*.

> I'm starting apache with apachectl not v_httpd, I know already that it binds
> to a single ip.

v_httpd is a kludge because people want to run apache on the *host* server
aswell. If people would stop doing this, it could go away completely--don't
use it in a vserver.

        -Paul

--
Nottingham, GB