From: Klavs Klavsen (kl_at_vsen.dk)
Date: Wed 09 Oct 2002 - 11:21:18 BST

On 09 Oct 2002 13:15:52 +0200
Dave <djp_at_comm.it> wrote:

> Think of rh8 as RedHat 8.0. The .0 is very important, in my opinion.
> Think of the respin of redhat 7.0. Think of all the problems with 6.0.
> Get the point?

This is not necessarily the case, although I grant you that 7.0 and 6.0
had problems. Mandrake 9.0 has for instance gotten VERY good reviews (no
screwups- and far better than Mandrake 8.2), and it too is gcc-3.2
based.

> Now, think of what you'll gain with 3.2 versus the old gcc, and try to
> answer some questions.
>
> Do you get faster programs? By how much?

I compared bzip2 from my RH7.3 - with the Gentoo gcc-3.2 version - it
was approx. 7-10% faster - even without profiling (which is new in
gcc-3.x) - and I've seen tests that with profiling bzip2 gets a 25%
speed increase (and yes I know bzip2 is special in regards to profiling
and probably won't gain as much with all other programs).

Also, gcc-3.2 has targets (optimizations) for all the processors - which
the older gcc's don't. This does provide for a big speed increase.

> Do you get smaller programs?

not necessarily - especially not with profiling - but I've got the
diskspace and ram I need - speed is my issue :-)

> Do you loose compatibility?

Nope.

> Why do you have to disable some optimizations for the code to work or
> to compile cleanly?

The same goes for the gcc-2.9x series - you couldn't compile everything
with -03 for instance.

> and... at the end... Is this all worth it?

Definetely. the new GCC has many great features and enhancements, that
will improve the performance of my Linux system.

--
Regards,
Klavs Klavsen

-------------| This mail has been sent to you by: |------------ Klavs Klavsen - Open Source Consultant klavs_at_EnableIT.dk - http://www.EnableIT.dk

Get PGP key from www.keyserver.net - Key ID: 0x586D5BCA Fingerprint = A95E B57B 3CE0 9131 9D15 94DA E1CD 641E 586D 5BCA ---------------------[ I think that... ]----------------------- Working with Unix is like wrestling a worthy opponent. Working with windows is like attacking a small whining child who is carrying a .38. -- Unknown

Generated on Wed 06 Nov 2002 - 07:03:43 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3