From: Paul Sladen (vserver_at_paul.sladen.org)
Date: Mon 16 Dec 2002 - 15:51:28 GMT

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Nico Erfurth wrote:
> After adding a user and try to su to the new user, it get this error.
> root_at_smtp ~# su user
> su: cannot run /bin/bash: Permission denied

Can you give a little more information, is this in a vserver or the host-
server? How did you create the vserver image and how did you start it?

> ssh user_at_vserver does fail too.

In what way does it fail? Has the daemon started? Does it log you into the
host-server? At what point does `ssh -v ...' fail? Does telnetting to the
port give you the OpenSSH banner? Does it fail at the network level?

> I checked the strace log of su user and found some strange things.
> setfsuid(500) = 0 <--- is this the problem?
> open("/etc/pwdb.conf", O_RDONLY) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
> readlink("/proc/self/fd/0", 0xbffff7fc, 511) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)

It's not that you've set `/vservers/foo' to be chmod 000 is it?

Sorry I don't have a definite answer for you, hope this helps.

        -Paul

--
Nottingham, GB