From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Mon 30 Dec 2002 - 15:35:51 GMT

On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 04:39:46PM +0200, Burak BASKAN wrote:
> it is all about 7 day uptime, and i hope crash problem is fixed with
> file-max value changed action.

sorry, that is no fix, that is adjusting probabilities ...

the only usage of file-max is in fs/file_table where
it limits the number of kernel filp structures created
on demand, so if file-nr doesn't reach file-max there
is no difference whether you set it to 10240 or one
million, and if you reach the limit you'll get
"VFS: file-max limit %d reached" and some of your tasks
will stop working ...

> Using 2.4.20 kernel; what is the default file-nr value?
> And what is the
> normal max. value for 1gb p1.5mhz machine?

file-max is computed at kernel boot time and set to
max(n, NR_FILE) with

        n = (mempages * (PAGE_SIZE / 1024)) / 10;
        NR_FILE = 8192

> > >cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr
> > >7161 1452 10240
> > >
> > >When i compile new kernel, the max value is about 103xxx and it
> looks very
> > >big for me, and i modify it as 10240.
> > >
> > >Now my uptime is about 5 days, and i hope the >crash problem is
> about file
> > >max value.
> >
> > Any news about this???
> >
> > i am back on ctx14 now and the box is stable
> > with ctx16 i get 1-2 crash/days
> >
> > Thanks

> > MSN Search, le moteur de recherche qui pense comme vous !
> > [1]http://search.msn.fr/worldwide.asp
>
> References
>
> 1. http://search.msn.fr/worldwide.asp

Generated on Mon 30 Dec 2002 - 15:52:19 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3