From: Burak BASKAN (burak_at_duslersokagi.com)
Date: Mon 30 Dec 2002 - 18:20:45 GMT

no, kernel checks /proc/sys/fs/file-max file to open new file description or not, if the max file limit reached then there are lots of bad error msg occurs, like;

bash$ ls
-bash: ls: command not found
bash$ whoami
could not find /etc/passwd

etc.. then if you increase your file-max limit then everything works fine,(without get the same errors)

if you want to check set the limit as 200;
echo 200 > /proc/sys/fs/file-max
and run some process, then wathc what will be happen.

As i told before i'm not sure if it is the ifx of crash problem, it is just a way that i try to solve my problem, because i havent got any error msg or anything for that problem, i have to do my best..

best regards,
Burak.

> On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 04:39:46PM +0200, Burak BASKAN wrote:
> > it is all about 7 day uptime, and i hope crash problem is fixed with
> > file-max value changed action.
>
> sorry, that is no fix, that is adjusting probabilities ...
>
> the only usage of file-max is in fs/file_table where
> it limits the number of kernel filp structures created
> on demand, so if file-nr doesn't reach file-max there
> is no difference whether you set it to 10240 or one
> million, and if you reach the limit you'll get
> "VFS: file-max limit %d reached" and some of your tasks
> will stop working ...
>

> > Using 2.4.20 kernel; what is the default file-nr value?
> > And what is the
> > normal max. value for 1gb p1.5mhz machine?
>
> file-max is computed at kernel boot time and set to
> max(n, NR_FILE) with
>
> n = (mempages * (PAGE_SIZE / 1024)) / 10;
> NR_FILE = 8192
>
> best,
> Herbert

> > looks very

> > about file
> > >
> > > Any news about this???
> > >
> > > i am back on ctx14 now and the box is stable
> > > with ctx16 i get 1-2 crash/days
> > >
> > > Thanks

> > > MSN Search, le moteur de recherche qui pense comme vous !
> > > [1]http://search.msn.fr/worldwide.asp
> >
> > References
> >
> > 1. http://search.msn.fr/worldwide.asp

Generated on Mon 30 Dec 2002 - 18:51:13 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3