From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Mon 13 Jan 2003 - 14:06:22 GMT

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 04:50:58PM +0300, Alexander Shishckin wrote:
> Hi.
>
> As far as I guess, the point is minimal set of packages for vserver, right?
> This set is IMHO even far from being optimal, moreover, such packages
> as gpm, man, modutils and so on and so forth are completely useless in
> vserver.

for gpm and modutils I see, and agree, for man I have
to object ... why should this be useless in a vserver?

anyway I think vserver will need some kind of adapted
package set (or debs) for a useful minimal set, because
there are other 'basic' requirements and dependancies
than on a physical system:

e.g. not needed but usually depended on:
 - hardware detection (pci/kuzdu/...)
 - device files (/dev/*)
 - kernel & kernel headers
 - modules & modutils
 - bootloader, hdpartition, fscreation ...

> My almost freshly-created debian vserver contains 91 package, including mc and ssh and maybe something else. So the actual minimal set is even smaller. Although debian's packaging system is far more advanced than rh's, I don't really think that rh requires bigger number of packages. I may post my minimal set in debian if someone needs it.
>
> On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 10:40:00 +0100
> Marcin Sucho?ebrski <marcins_at_wdc.pl> wrote:
>
> > Eje Gustafsson wrote:
> > > A while back I was asked to post the RH 8.0 minimum list that I had
> > > come up with.
> >
> > Your minimum IMO is far away from minimum RPM set. :-) I work on it, now i've 108 RPMs and it will go down. Now my minimum base has ~160MB. When i'll finish i'll write my minimum set of RPMs.
> >
> > Minimum does not means optimum, but minimum set prepard for upgrade (f.ex. for install compliators, internet-tools like telnet, mtr, traceroute, wget etc.)
> >
> > [...]
> > > gpm-1.19.3-23.i386.rpm
> > [...]
> >
> > As many others in your minimum set - gpm over ssh? Sounds nice. ;-)
> >
> > --
> > Pozdrawiam,
> > Marcin Sucho?ebrski
> >
> > "W ?yciu nie licz? si? tylko cia?o i musku?y - wa?ny jest jeszcze fryz"
> > -- Johnny Bravo

Generated on Wed 15 Jan 2003 - 17:17:03 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3