From: Alexander Shishckin (shisha_at_hotbox.ru)
Date: Mon 13 Jan 2003 - 15:36:29 GMT

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 15:06:22 +0100
Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at> wrote:

> for gpm and modutils I see, and agree, for man I have
> to object ... why should this be useless in a vserver?
I bet vserver is sort of a remote controlled thing and it's
easier to read manuals on the local machine.

> anyway I think vserver will need some kind of adapted
> package set (or debs) for a useful minimal set, because
> there are other 'basic' requirements and dependancies
> than on a physical system:
Yes, I'm currently working on a tool for creating vservers in
debian. I use some tricks around debootstrap's scripts and
redefine the list of basic packages and override debootstrap's
devices.tar.bz2 to fit the vserver's needs and remove all
unnecessary things. Finally, I want this tool to go to the
debian distribution but it's quite another story. ;)

> e.g. not needed but usually depended on:
> - hardware detection (pci/kuzdu/...)
> - device files (/dev/*)
> - kernel & kernel headers
> - modules & modutils
> - bootloader, hdpartition, fscreation ...
I may line out things I came out with and it would be great to
discuss this if anyone has better ideas.

> best,
> Herbert

Generated on Wed 15 Jan 2003 - 17:17:03 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3