From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Mon 03 Feb 2003 - 18:48:33 GMT

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 03:45:42PM +0000, Paul Sladen wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Feb 2003, Justin M. Kuntz wrote:
>
> Hello Justin,
>
> > I think the mailing list is down again along with the solucorp web site.
>
> DNS, the Website and Mail all run on one box. I think Jacques runs this
> machine with the vserver patches, so it is probably a good long-term testbed
> aswell;--and very useful in the debugging process.
>
> If you urgently need source, I have a hand-maintained mirror of the
> important stuff that /try/ to keep up-to-date:
>
> http://mirrors.paul.sladen.org/ftp.solucorp.qc.ca/pub/vserver/
>
> > I was wondering how many people would be in favor of switching to a
> > yahoo groups forum.
>
> I'm going to take a stab here and say, ``pretty few in-favour''.

"Things That Go Up And Down On A Rhythmic Basis" (Jun 13,1999)
[http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=19990613]

I would add Jacques pages/mailing list without hesitating,
but, damn I hate those YaHoo groups ... 8-)

so my vote goes to Jacques *G*, so keep up the -good- work!

> > Surely this would be less work for Jaques to manage, and probably be
> > more reliable in the end.
>
> On the other hand. How do you rate your chances of being able to get it
> *fixed*, when it *did* go wrong. Think big, faceless company here.

yup!

> The classic one I always hear about is when the ``maintainer'' disappears
> and nobody can authorise new members, or recover the membership list; and
> they have to start again. (I now host half-a-dozen lists that were formerly
> Yahoo/Smartgroups).

yup!

> How many Free Software projects or semi-competently-run mailing lists to do
> see using Yahoo like setups?... Think about the reasons why--
>
> The advertising is annoying, but it's certainly not the most important
> reason.

nope!

> > generate some more publicity for vserver to use a more standard Yahoo
> > Groups approach.
>
> I'm interested at why you think that de-centralising the components of the
> project, or moving a
>
> > I've tried mailing Jaques, but his mail recently bounced also.
>
> It is a little unfortunate that there isn't an MX-backup for
> `solucorp.qc.ca'; perhaps you could try re-sending it or altering
> your MTA configuration so that it doesn't give up after one go.

It should not be a problem to setup a backup mailserver
somewhere, I think many people (including myself) are more
than willing to do something like this (hint!)