From: Paul Sladen (vserver_at_paul.sladen.org)
Date: Mon 03 Feb 2003 - 15:45:42 GMT

On Sun, 2 Feb 2003, Justin M. Kuntz wrote:

Hello Justin,

> I think the mailing list is down again along with the solucorp web site.

DNS, the Website and Mail all run on one box. I think Jacques runs this
machine with the vserver patches, so it is probably a good long-term testbed
aswell;--and very useful in the debugging process.

If you urgently need source, I have a hand-maintained mirror of the
important stuff that /try/ to keep up-to-date:

  http://mirrors.paul.sladen.org/ftp.solucorp.qc.ca/pub/vserver/

> I was wondering how many people would be in favor of switching to a
> yahoo groups forum.

I'm going to take a stab here and say, ``pretty few in-favour''.

> Surely this would be less work for Jaques to manage, and probably be
> more reliable in the end.

On the other hand. How do you rate your chances of being able to get it
*fixed*, when it *did* go wrong. Think big, faceless company here.

The classic one I always hear about is when the ``maintainer'' disappears
and nobody can authorise new members, or recover the membership list; and
they have to start again. (I now host half-a-dozen lists that were formerly
Yahoo/Smartgroups).

How many Free Software projects or semi-competently-run mailing lists to do
see using Yahoo like setups?... Think about the reasons why--

The advertising is annoying, but it's certainly not the most important
reason.

> generate some more publicity for vserver to use a more standard Yahoo
> Groups approach.

I'm interested at why you think that de-centralising the components of the
project, or moving a

> I've tried mailing Jaques, but his mail recently bounced also.

It is a little unfortunate that there isn't an MX-backup for
`solucorp.qc.ca'; perhaps you could try re-sending it or altering
your MTA configuration so that it doesn't give up after one go.

        -Paul

--
Nottingham, GB