From: Mark Lawrence (nomad_at_null.net)
Date: Tue 11 Feb 2003 - 10:20:13 GMT

> I will put it in the distribution. I will call it vserver-copy.

Groovy....

> There is one issue. It did not work for me :-(

This is not so cool.

> You are using ssh to check if the target dhost/vserver is running
>
> but you are using rsync over rsh to perform the copy. On most machine
> rsh is not enabled/installed. So the copy failed without much explanation.

Did you try the -v flag? I only have ssh installed - no rsh. I am guessing
that perhaps rsync uses rsh by default, and checks for ssh only after the
first method fails. I now force rsync to use ssh when doing a network
copy, which you can change with the -R option.

The script will now either copy locally or to a remote host, with the
option of rewriting the vserver.conf and /etc/hosts files with a new
hostname and IP address.

> vserver takes some time when in fact, potentially most of it is already
> available. Using vfiles, you can get the list of all file different from
> a reference vserver (potentially different) and copy just that. Then on
> the target, you can re-unify.

> The vcp script would accept a -r argument, which is the reference vserver.
> The script would check that both the source and the target host have
> such a vserver and would use vfile at one end and vunify at the other

I like the idea, however vunify is very dependent upon the package
manager, yes? Or at least rpm. Is there a way to make that distribution
independent?

I don't know exactly how vunify works, but if you want to do the hard work
I'll integrate it with the rest of the options.

> Thanks!

You're welcome.

Hey Paul,

I don't know if it is intentional or not, but some of the directories and
files under your vserver web pages are not readable (vcp/vcp is one of
them, listen-with-no-bind is another...)

Cheers, Mark.

--
Mark Lawrence (nomad_at_null.net)		Mobile: +41 79 309 0633