From: by way of Sam Vilain (sam_at_vilain.net)
Date: Fri 14 Feb 2003 - 00:18:54 GMT

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 12:39, Sam Stickland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if anyone has done any work on this? Anyone planning
> too?
>
> Anyone got any idea how hard this would be to implement? Obviously the
> file-system has to have some concept of when it's OK to break a
> hardlink, and when it's not (ie. if the hardlinked files are both in the
> same vserver/context), but other than that, for someone who knew the
> particular file-system halfway reasonably it's unlikely to be a mamoth
> task?

Simple hard linking works surprisingly well; most applications will not
 try to in-place edit files, except data files. As long as you restrict
 the hard linking to /usr, /lib, /bin and /sbin (ie, where binaries and
 mostly static files are).

The extra filesystem attribute included in the vserver patch permits you
 to make a file immutable (so no vserver can open it and change it)
 without making the links to the file immutable (so you can still rename
 or delete it).

This also has the benefit of executable files sharing the same in-memory
image, and generally being very accessible to the System Administrator.

--
Sam Vilain, sam_at_vilain.net

Overheard at a supervision : Supervisor : Do you think you understand the basic ideas of Quantum Mechanics ? Supervisee : Ah! Well,what do we mean by "to understand" in the context of Quantum Mechanics? Supervisor : You mean"No",don't you? Supervisee : Yes.

Generated on Fri 14 Feb 2003 - 00:38:34 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3