From: Sam Vilain (sam_at_vilain.net)
Date: Fri 21 Feb 2003 - 08:46:52 GMT

OK, I don't know how* I managed to miss the LKCD patch for 2.4.20, but I
did.

The 2.4.20 patch they have applies cleanly to the 2.4.20ctx-16 source;
ignore my patch.

http://lkcd.sourceforge.net/download/4.1.1/patches/lkcd-2.4.20.diff

Sam.

* - actually I do, it's because "4.1.1/" sorts before "4.1/" :-)

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 17:38, Sam Vilain wrote:
> Linux Kernel Crash Debugging (lkcd.sourceforge.net) would be the best
> thing. This dumps the kernel into swap on the event of most crashes; a
> startup script can then copy the kernel image from swap before it gets
> allocated for programs to use.
>
> However, it seems that the patch for the stable tree has only been
> maintained to 2.4.18! It's been on my todo list to get a grip on how
> this all works for some time, as it is the primary method that large
> vendors such as Sun use to track down kernel bugs. So far I haven't had
> the time.
>
> I've found 20 minutes to port the patch to 2.4.20ctx-16 for you; however
> I don't have the time to test it right now :-}. So fingers crossed that
> it works. There was only one part of the merging where I wasn't 100%
> sure of how to merge though, in main.c; but I think the worst case would
> be a slightly truncated dump.
>
> Temporarily at:
>
> http://www.soreal.co.uk/~sv/lkcd-4.1-1-2.4.20ctx-16.patch
>
> This should hopefully save the kernel snapshot on a crash; you might
> want to have a good read on the lkcd home page (lkcd.sourceforge.net) to
> see how to get the dumped images out of swap on reboot.
>
> Good luck,
> Sam.
>
> On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:24, Dinesh Mistry wrote:
> > I have been running 2.4.20ctx-16 successfully for about 1month and now
> > all of a sudden the system now has begun to kernel panic every few
> > hours. I was wondering if there was a way to capture what is happening
> > so I can post it here any someone may be able to help figure out
> > what's going on. I do not have access to the console of the server
> > since it is co-located elsewhere, anyone have any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks

> > Dinesh Mistry
> >
> > YourHostDirect
> > 1-800-210-6757
> >
> > Better, Faster and more Reliable Hosting
> > http://www.yourhostdirect.com

Sam Vilain, sam_at_vilain.net

Reality: That which you cannot change simply by wishing it otherwise.