From: Christian Mayrhuber (christian.mayrhuber_at_gmx.net)
Date: Mon 24 Feb 2003 - 12:50:40 GMT

I can't get apache in a vserver on a Debian PII Deschutes machine to run, regardless of the resource I
request, apache returns "403 forbidden".

If I start tomcat in the same vserver, bound on the same ip and port apache should bind on it runs fine.
No web server is running in the root context.
If I copy the contents of the apache vserver to another vserver debian machine (Athlon XP) it runs fine.

NO errors are logged by apache, even with the loglevel set to debug, only the access log shows the forbidden answer.
I tried the 2.4.20ctx-16 and 2.4.19ctx-14 kernels with the same result.

Using strace shows the following:

test:/# strace -e trace=file -p 8857
stat64("/var/www", 0x80a18dc) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)

Which is very strange, because I set the access rights of /var/www to 0777 and the user:group www-data:www-data.

System information:
==============
The filessystem is type ext2 (rw,errors=remount-ro). A filesystem check showed no errors.

cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 5
model name : Pentium II (Deschutes)
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 360.872
cache size : 512 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr
bogomips : 710.65

Any clues how to track that further down?

--
lg, Chris