From: John P. Eisenmenger (jpe_at_eisenmenger.org)
Date: Sat 22 Mar 2003 - 15:52:17 GMT

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Jonathan Sambrook wrote:

> Is there a Gentoo package maintainer (or is that portage maintainer?)
> for vserver?
>
> <fireresist>I don't know if it's just me, but I perceive an
> increase in Gentoo users demanding that the rest of the world support
> 'their' distro which seems to be a horse/cart ordering
> issue.</fireresist>

Hmm. It seems to me that the number of gentoo users is growing rapidly,
period. I know within my company that gentoo is becoming more popular.

To me a marriage of vserver and gentoo is a natural. After all, if you're
running multiple virtual machines on a system, wouldn't it make sense for
all of the software to be optimized for the hardware platform? That way
you'd make the most efficient use of the hardware. It makes more sense to
me than several virtual servers running relatively inefficient Pentium (or
i386) code on a modern processor...

I wouldn't mind creating an ebuild for vserver, but I have to learn how to
create an ebuild first. :-) I'll start looking into it this week. Maybe
I'll figure it out, or maybe someone will beat me to it, but I will give
it a go.

-John

--
John P. Eisenmenger