From: Jacques Gelinas (jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca)
Date: Thu 27 Mar 2003 - 21:03:02 GMT

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 12:22:04 -0500, Dinesh Mistry wrote
> Hello,
>
> I am having a problem with named (version 8.x) running on a vserver
> 2.4.20-ctx20-1. I want to be able to run ns1 and ns2 within the same
> vserver yet named will only bind to one IP address the first one in the
> list. Is this something that I am doing wrong or is this a limitation of
> a vserver.

Not sure. There is a flaw in vserver kernel. If you do /sbin/ifconfig
from a vserver, you see all the devices, but you only see the IP for the
device/aliases you own.

The flaw is that /proc/net/dev is not filtered out. The ioctl used to retrieve
IP addresses assign to a device is properly protected. So on one side, you can
see something and on the other side, you can't retrieve information about
it.

I suspect this is confusing named. Is there a way in named to specify
on which IP to bind instead of letting it do it all by itself. Normally, bind
is setting one socket per IP it finds and I suspect it gets confused when
it can extract the IP of a device.