From: Klavs Klavsen (klavs_at_EnableIT.dk)
Date: Thu 27 Mar 2003 - 19:22:13 GMT

On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 16:43, Jonathan Sambrook wrote:
[SNIP]

> > I must admit that I'm sorry about vserver not working with the closest
> > thing to a proper ipv6 implementation Linux has. I need IPv6 - and IPSec
> > support in IPv6 - so I don't really have a choice :(
>
> <tongue in cheek>
> Ah, but do you? You have a need, scratch it! Why wait for someone else?
> </tongue in cheek>

I have tried. I'm not even close to a good enough programmer. I also
tried asking people I knew who had more of a clue in that direction -
but they either didn't have the time - or the know how :(

I was hoping perhaps a need for vserver for 2.5 would be something more
people would want - and then perhaps jacques could have a look - who
knows it might be a quick job for someone who actually knows what he's
doing :)

> OOI: why would freeswan or usagi need to mess with the scheduler?

I have no idea - I just think that's what they change (aren't really
sure right now). you can search on posts from me on this - I posted the
things that didn't match with the USAGI-patch and vserver.

> > In 2.5 these patches are part of the vanilla kernel - anyone have a
> > vserver patch for 2.5? then I'd be glad to try it out.
> >
> > p.s. I run a headless server and was wondering if anyone had a clever
> > way of booting on a kernel only once - so if the box crashed and I
> > rebooted it - it wouldn't use the same kernel - but default to boot the
> > last working kernel instead. p.s. I use Grub.
>
> After you've successfully booted, have an init script do one of:
>
> *) swap /boot/grub/menu.lst for a 'safe' version
>
> or
>
> *) edit menu.lst's 'default=' variable to point to the known good
> kernel's entry
>
> Then do the reverse on a 'good' shutdown.

A fine idea - if it actually boots - but most often the problem is that
the kernel doesn't get far enough for such a solution to work.

I think I would have to switch to Lilo. Not a problem for me - except I
hate switching stuff that could potentially breake and make me have to
find a screen and keyboard for the machine :(

--
Regards,
Klavs Klavsen, GSEC

Open Source Server, Security and Network Consulting klavs_at_EnableIT.dk - http://www.EnableIT.dk Phone: +45 3284 4372 Mobile: +45 2342 4372 PGP: 7E063C62/2873 188C 968E 600D D8F8 B8DA 3D3A 0B79 7E06 3C62

"Open Source Software - Sometimes you get more than you paid for."

Generated on Thu 27 Mar 2003 - 19:52:49 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3