From: Keith Smethers (keithls_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri 09 May 2003 - 04:15:39 BST

RedHat doesn't modify the kernel source, it applies patches to it.
If you download the source rpm, you get the stock kernel along with the
patches they apply. What patches and in which order are defined in the
spec file. The spec file is used to create a shell script which does the
extracting, patching, and compiling. Looking at the spec file or the
shell script shows exactly what they are doing to build their kernel.
It's a rpm thing; look up rpmbuild for further info.