From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Mon 16 Jun 2003 - 14:29:02 BST

On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 05:13:12PM +0200, Martin Honermeyer wrote:
> Hello Herbert,
>
> > I remebered too, had a look, but got the same feeling
> > as last time ...
> >
> > - a few mailing list cutouts
> > - nothing usable yet ...
> > - my name misspelled (a novity 8-)
>
> First of all, sorry for misspelling your name! I just
> looked at the mailing list, and your mail client does
> send the "ö" as "oe". So I couldn't have known this,
> although I am from Germany ;).

no big deal, I'm used to that (thats one reason
why 'oe' is used in emails ...)

> > don't get me wrong, that was the reason why I asked
> > last time: "do you intend to moderate this?"
> >
> > I guess, the best solution would be to take Pauls
> > FAQ, make it a wiki (so you'll have all the topics,
> > issues and sections) and let it be edited ...
> >
> > (Paul, what do you think about that?)
> >
> > from time to time, it would be necessary to clean
> > up, and or restructure, and of course some index
> > or reference would be fine ...

> > if I would spend a week, I could add/structure a
> > lot of information there, but if I had a week for
> > that, I could also write some new web pages on my
> > own site ;)
> >
> > the real advantage of a wiki, IMHO is that the
> > information can easily be revised, extended, corrected.
> > but the adding of 'new' information will be as painful
> > as it is without ...
> >
> > > This would be a good information collection site.
> > > I still want to see a 'book-like' product so it can be
> > > printed or downloaded into a palmtop for cover-to-cover
> > > reading when not online.
> >
> > good idea, any suggestions how to accomplish this?
> > except for printing each html page
>
> I really like to have Jacques' FAQ "wikified" on the site,
> but won't put it in before having his personal permission.

actually I was referring to Pauls FAQ not Jacques'
but I guess a combination/selection of both would be
advantageous/beneficial ...

ask for their permission, I do not see any reason
why they should not give it ...

> The other thing is time. I don't have much of that at the moment.
> That's one reason why I chose to make a Wiki instead of a
> "normal" website. Everyone can contribute.

yeah that's the basic idea, but as I know from
more than one wiki sites, nobody will contribute
without a good reason to do so ...

> That way, everything could be built up step by step.
> The idea was to grab every useful information from the mailing
> list, but to keep a useful structure.

which actually is where? sorry, I don't see
any useful structure, please enlighten me ...

> I don't want it to stay like this, with extracts simply copied
> from the list. One could easily change those extracts into
> mini-tutorials.

who will do that? Jacques? Paul? me?

> That has to be done. By anyone. The problem is, if no one aids,
> the site may always lag behind the times.
>
> > best,
> > Herbert
>

> Greets,
> Martin

Generated on Mon 16 Jun 2003 - 14:50:54 BST by hypermail 2.1.3