From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Sat 05 Jul 2003 - 14:52:34 BST

On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 12:30:31PM +0200, "bognár, attila" wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I created a vserver in a Debian Testing environment. (both the host and
> vserver is Debian Testing).
>
> My problem is that I cannot use the inetd services running in the
> vserver. Inetd binds to the specified ports by the services given in
> inetd.conf, it is possible to connect to the services but the connection
> is immediately dropped.
>
> The result of a telnet:
>
> build:~# inetd -d
> ADD : discard proto=tcp, wait.max=0.40, user.group=root.(null)
> builtin=804d0b4 server=internal
> ADD : discard proto=udp, wait.max=0.40, user.group=root.(null)
> builtin=804d0c4 server=internal
> ADD : daytime proto=tcp, wait.max=0.40, user.group=root.(null)
> builtin=804d0f4 server=internal
> ADD : time proto=tcp, wait.max=0.40, user.group=root.(null)
> builtin=804d0d4 server=internal
> ADD : telnet proto=tcp, wait.max=0.40, user.group=telnetd.telnetd
> builtin=0 server=/usr/sbin/tcpd
> ADD : 9999 proto=tcp, wait.max=0.400, user.group=aptproxy.(null)
> builtin=0 server=/usr/sbin/tcpd
> someone wants telnet
> accept, ctrl 3
> 2360 execl /usr/sbin/tcpd
> 2360 reaped, status 100

man tcpd gives:

TCPD(8) TCPD(8)

NAME
       tcpd - access control facility for internet services

DESCRIPTION
       The tcpd program can be set up to monitor incoming
       requests for telnet, finger, ftp, exec, rsh, rlogin, tftp,
       talk, comsat and other services that have a one-to-one
       mapping onto executable files.

ACCESS CONTROL
       Optionally, tcpd supports a simple form of access control
       that is based on pattern matching. The access-control
       software provides hooks for the execution of shell com­
       mands when a pattern fires. For details, see the
       hosts_access(5) manual page.

could this be configured to forbid the connection
or not working at all? what is tcpd status 100?
does /usr/sbin/tcpd in the vserver exist at all?

HTH,
Herbert

> the client process:
> build:/var/log# telnet build
> Trying 10.7.7.4...
> Connected to build.netalfa.hu.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> Connection closed by foreign host.
> build:/var/log#
>

> There is no hanging at all (nor inetd, nor client), just after opening
> the connection it is immediatly closed. I could not found any log entry
> anywhere about it.
>
> Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks,
>
> attila

Generated on Sat 05 Jul 2003 - 22:46:55 BST by hypermail 2.1.3