From: Lars Braeuer (lbraeuer_at_mpex.net)
Date: Wed 09 Jul 2003 - 15:41:36 BST

Herbert Pötzl wrote:
> Hi Ola!
>
> On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 11:41:14AM +0200, Ola Lundqvist wrote:
>
>>On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 04:13:23PM +0200, Christian Mayrhuber wrote:
>>*SNIP*
>>
>>>Vserver is relatively new on Debian and is not part of the
>>>stable distribution. It is only in testing and unstable for now.
>>>Those packages moved the /vservers directory to /var/lib/vservers
>>>in order to comply with the debian standards.
>>>You should be able to recompile the vserver .deb for stable
>>>by yourself.
>>
>>If you want precompiled you can find them on http://debian.opal.dhs.org/.
>>I usually place the backported version there when I upload a new
>>version to unstable.
>>
>>The move from /vservers to /var/lib/vservers was to comply with LSB
>>which RedHat and others wants to comply to as well. The neat thing
>>is that you can configure the location in /etc/vserver.conf.
>

> is there some documentation about the changes/usage for debian?
> maybe a short how-to for setup or anything?

there's a great script written by paul, along with an easy to understand
http://www.paul.sladen.org/vserver/debian/
I modified this script, adding support for installation on logical volume devices.

>>>Running vserver on debian is as stable as it is on any other
>>>distribution. It is very comfortable to build
>>>a new vserver with the newvserver-debian script from Paul Sladen
>>>and Mark Lawrence. You will have to edit it to suit your needs.
>>
>>There is actually a script inside the package nowdays.
>

> what about server unification, how was this solved?
> I would like to get some infos from somebody who
> actually runs a debian host/vserver combo, maybe
> with multiple similar vserver and unification?

I'm running a suse (physical server) / debian (virtual server) system as well as
a debian/debian system.

is there a tool for debian packet unification? I don't think so. I thought
unification is only working for rpm base vhosts (with the tools available so far).

>>Regards,
>>
>>// Ola
>>

>>>If you want to install a system to let it run once it's installed,
>>>good security updates without much effort and
>>>you do not need the latest software releases, then Debian's
>>>stable distribution is for you.
>

> what about security updates in regard of unification?
> any comments/infos are welcome ...

for security updates you simply run a command which compares all installed
debian packages and checks if there are any important security updates. any new
packets will be updated immediately.

Generated on Wed 09 Jul 2003 - 16:01:42 BST by hypermail 2.1.3