From: Enrico Scholz (enrico.scholz_at_informatik.tu-chemnitz.de)
Date: Fri 12 Sep 2003 - 19:23:29 BST

Hello,

I am going to put my C-port of the 'vserver' package under an open
development; probably at savanna.nongnu.org. The mission-statement can
be found below.

Open questions are:
* is it really a good idea? I contributed only <10% of the code; the
  other parts are written by Jacques and other authors of the original
  'vserver' package.
* 'vserver-base-tools' is an ugly name; shorter names (suggested by Herbert)
  could be 'vs-base-tools' or 'vsb-tools', but nobody would understand their
  meaning :) I am not good in such naming-questions. Are there better ideas?
* any objections against savanna.nongnu.org?

Enrico

----- Mission statement -----

This project provides the userspace-tools for vserver[1] capable
kernels. Such tools are:

* simple syscall-wrappers like 'chbind' or 'chcontext'
* vserver-aware wrappers for standard-tools (e.g. 'vps', 'vtop',
  'vkill')
* tools for disk-management ('vrpm', 'vunify')
* support for virtual servers ('vserver')

The current version[2] ported the base-tools of the original 'vserver'
package[3] to the C-language, and added an auto*-tools based
buildsystem. The planned future development will add support for new
features like context-capabilities and the minit-initconcept.

URLs:
[1] http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/miscprj/s_context.hc
    http://www.13thfloor.at/VServer/
[2] http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~ensc/vserver/vserverx-0.23.tar.bz2
[3] ftp://ftp.solucorp.qc.ca/pub/vserver/vserver-0.22.src.tar.gz

Generated on Fri 12 Sep 2003 - 19:45:35 BST by hypermail 2.1.3