From: Enrico Scholz (enrico.scholz_at_informatik.tu-chemnitz.de)
Date: Tue 30 Sep 2003 - 17:05:35 BST

Enrico Scholz <enrico.scholz_at_informatik.tu-chemnitz.de> writes:

> I am going to put my C-port of the 'vserver' package under an open
> development; probably at savanna.nongnu.org.

After a long and complicated name-finding process I registered it under
the name 'util-vserver' at savannah:

           http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/util-vserver/

The current version has the same functionality and tools like Jacques
vserver-0.23 package and should be a drop-in replacement. It contains
some small fixes and enhancements like:

* minit support
* removal of the 'no chrootsafe()' message
* setting of capabilities at 'vserver ... stop'

Because of the name-change, it may be necessarily for third-party tools
to create a symlink like

          ln -s util-vserver /usr/lib/vserver

Future development will:
* introduce a new configuration scheme; see [1] for basic structure. With
  this directory-entry based configuration
  - the hardcoded /vservers location will disappear; the vserver root is
    now /etc/vservers/<vserver>/vdir (which is a symlink)
  - the configuration will be parseable by C programs
  - enhanced, application-specific configuration will be possible
    (e.g. the different options for rpm/apt based installations, options
    for the various distributions, a vunify-refserver, and ...)
* provide secure vrpm/vapt-get wrappers which will be executed outside
  of the vserver and will not depend on content within the vserver. This
  is finished to 80% and in the CVS tree.
* provide support for new cool stuff like context-quota, alternative
  chroot() approaches (CLONE_NEWNS), and ...

I want to thank Jacques Gelinas for his great work on the vserver package
on which my package is based on.

Enrico

Footnotes:
[1] http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/*checkout*/util-vserver/util-vserver/doc/cfg.txt?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/plain

Generated on Tue 30 Sep 2003 - 17:43:24 BST by hypermail 2.1.3