From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Tue 30 Sep 2003 - 17:35:10 BST

Dear VServer Community!

In reaction to several requests on the IRC channel and
some emails, I am willing to 'officially' take over the
VServer project, with the 1st of November, if, and only
if, I don't receive any objection until this date.

This is no hostile take over, and when Jacques returns
(I'm still in hope he does) I will not refuse to transfer
the leadership for this project.

I would like to improve the vserver development and user
interaction in several ways, but I WILL need YOUR help.

Here is a list of ideas/plans in no particular order,
and I would be glad to receive your comments:

a) Setup a new mailing list, (probably mailman) with
   automated archive, spam filter and lower latency.

b) Provide an one-stop web location, by creating a
   static copy of Jacques web pages to preserve this
   information, and integrate them and other pages
   into the 'all-new' structured 13thfloor web pages
   (which will be available soon ;)

c) Provide a 'stable' vserver release for every kernel
   release (2.4 and as soon as available for 2.6 too)

d) Setup a VServer User Wiki including a 'central'
   storage for addons, patches, tools, etc

e) Setup a (nightly) build/test system, which builds
   and test all useful combinations of patches, and
   generates 'all-in-one' patches for several kernel
   versions.

f) Put all vserver related tools and patches into a
   distributed revision control system (probably arch)
   to allow easy maintainance of different branches.

What help would be needed/appreciated?

1) somebody configuring and maintaining the mailing list
2) somebody providing the enormous disk space required to
   do automated kernel building and testing (more details
   on that in a later posting)
3) somebody moderating the user wiki (creating major
   categories, checking links, etc..) (I can provide the
   wiki as the engine seems to work for the Linux2.6 one)

thanks in advance,

Generated on Tue 30 Sep 2003 - 18:02:27 BST by hypermail 2.1.3