From: Nuno Silva (nuno.silva_at_vgertech.com)
Date: Sun 05 Oct 2003 - 19:51:36 BST

Martin Daur wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> i have one physical machine running kernel 2.4.22-ctx17a (user tools
> 0.24) with a default route to the pppoe dev (ppp0). eth0 is the local
> network, and eth1 is connected to the dsl modem.
>
> When I now change in an vps context with chbind and chcontext, i can
> ping hosts outside (over pppoe) but for all other packets (TCP/ UDP) it
> seems that masquerading is not done!
> (ethereal shows that packets send out of an vps contains still the local
> source ip eg. 192.0.0.xxx and not that one from the masq dev)
>

> # Masquerading
> iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.0.0/24 -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE

MASQ will not touch local packets. You'll have to use SNAT:

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.0.0/24 -j SNAT --to-source
$PUBLIC_IP_ADDRESS

Every time you change the (public) IP address will have to run the
above... Take a look at pppd's ip-up scripts.

Have fun,
Nuno Silva

Generated on Sun 05 Oct 2003 - 20:18:20 BST by hypermail 2.1.3