From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Sun 02 Nov 2003 - 22:44:34 GMT

On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 08:55:43PM +0100, Alexander Goeres wrote:
> Hello Herbert
>
> Am Freitag, 31. Oktober 2003 22:53 schrieb Herbert Poetzl:
> > > system-call .. (?). The 2.4.22 kernel contains quota-support and I
> > > activated it during the its configuration. But obviously this systemcall
> > > is missing in the new kernel.
> >
> > first this isn't obvious, and second I don't think it is missing ...
>
> Well that's right it wasn't missing, only I forgot to do a mandb.
> But nevertheless, I don't succeed to set these limits to vservers. Might be,
> that I misunderstood the concept completely. What I learned from the list
> was, that the vserver-quotas are intended to work inside the vservers, the
> limits set space-limits to the vservers according to their differents
> contexts. And that last thing is exactly what I would like to do..
>
> Now I only have a lot of questions, and I don't really know where to start..
>
> 1. Compiling a kernel that was patched with the patches mentioned in "Per
> Context Disk Limits" and that hasn't turned quotas on but with a "Persistent
> Context ID" enabled fails. So I have to compile a such kernel with
> "Persistent Context ID method of my choice" and with quotas on?

hmm, good point, I should check that ...
and yes, you need the quota system, as it is used for
the accounting of the disk limits too ...

> 2. Well, I did the last several times and vservers worked after rebooting.
> What didn't work was the possibility to set a quota to a test-user.
> "quotacheck" succeeded, but quotaon -u xxxx -f /dev/hdb7 always failed with
> the errmsg:
>
> > quotaon: using /var/aquota.user on /dev/hdb7 [/var] : No such device or
> > address

did you add the quota hashes as described in the
(short) documentation on http://www.linux-vserver.org/
http://vserver.13thfloor.at/Linux2.6/index.php?page=Per+Context+Disk+Limits

> 3. Another problem was then setting limits to a vserver..
> cqhadd -x 2 -v /dev/hdb7 always returned
> > cqhadd adding quota hash for /dev/hdb7 ... failed: Function not implemented

-ENXIO is returned if the quota hash does not exist,
where -EPERM is returned if you don't have the required
permission/capability ...

> So, what did I do wrong or what am I missing?

probably you just forgot to add the quota hash for
context 2 (you should not use such low context ids
for fixed context numbers, which you should use if
you use context tagging ...)