From: Rob Mayhue (rob_at_totalwebhost.com)
Date: Wed 07 Jan 2004 - 19:05:24 GMT

I have two questions for the list concerning quotas and ulimits.

I'll cut to the chase and tell you what am attempting to do. I'm trying to get
an Ensim control panel installed and working in a vserver and have managed to
get most of the Ensim install completed but have run into a couple of
problems.

My test setup is this...

Host and Vserver OS:
RedHat 7.3

The host server kernel is:
vanilla kernel-2.4.22
patch-2.4.22-vs1.22.diff
patch-2.4.22-vs1.20-q0.12.diff
I compiled vroot, quota (old & new) and smp support into the kernel

Vserver tools:
vserver-0.29-1
vserver-admin-0.29-1
cq-tools-0.06
vr-tools-0.14
vkill-0.01

Problem 1)

I followed the instructions at
http://www.13thfloor.at/old/VServer/HowTo_LVMQS.shtml to get the quota
support working inside the vserver. quotacheck -maug and repquota -aug work
as expected but quotaoff fails with:

[root_at_vserver:vs1 /]quotaoff /dev/hdv1
quotaoff: quotactl on /dev/hdv1 [/]: No such device or address
quotaoff: quotactl on /dev/hdv1 [/]: No such device or address

and quotaon fails with:

[root_at_vserver:vs1 /]quotaon /dev/hdv1
quotaon: using //aquota.group on /dev/hdv1 [/]: No such device or address
quotaon: using //aquota.user on /dev/hdv1 [/]: No such device or address

Ensim issues quotaoff in one if its startup scritps and it fails with an
error. I tested quotaon because quotaoff is symlinked to quotaon.

Any ideas on the above errors?

Problem 2)

Ensim installs its own httpd script in /etc/init.d and it tries to increase
the number of files apache can have open with ulimit -n 4048 but it fails
because the vserver ulimit -n is set at 1024 and cannot be changed inside the
vserver. I have tried various combinations of values for ULIMIT in
(host)/etc/vservers/vs1.conf with and without nproc in S_FLAGS and cannot
manage to increase the ulimit -n inside the vserver.

How can I increase ulimit -n inside the vserver?

Any comments and suggestions are very welcome and appreciated.

PS -> Thanks for the great effort put into the vserver project!

--
Rob Mayhue
Total Web Hosting Solutions, Inc.