From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Thu 08 Jan 2004 - 01:57:36 GMT

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 02:05:24PM -0500, Rob Mayhue wrote:
> I have two questions for the list concerning quotas and ulimits.
>
> I'll cut to the chase and tell you what am attempting to do. I'm trying to get
> an Ensim control panel installed and working in a vserver and have managed to
> get most of the Ensim install completed but have run into a couple of
> problems.
>
> My test setup is this...
>
> Host and Vserver OS:
> RedHat 7.3
>
> The host server kernel is:
> vanilla kernel-2.4.22
> patch-2.4.22-vs1.22.diff
> patch-2.4.22-vs1.20-q0.12.diff
> I compiled vroot, quota (old & new) and smp support into the kernel
>
> Vserver tools:
> vserver-0.29-1
> vserver-admin-0.29-1
> cq-tools-0.06
> vr-tools-0.14
> vkill-0.01
>
> Problem 1)
>
> I followed the instructions at
> http://www.13thfloor.at/old/VServer/HowTo_LVMQS.shtml to get the quota
> support working inside the vserver. quotacheck -maug and repquota -aug work
> as expected but quotaoff fails with:

what about cqhadd/cqhrem? what do they return?
do the quota tools work on the host server?

> [root_at_vserver:vs1 /]quotaoff /dev/hdv1
> quotaoff: quotactl on /dev/hdv1 [/]: No such device or address
> quotaoff: quotactl on /dev/hdv1 [/]: No such device or address

is /dev/hdv1 configured properly?
ls -la /dev/hdv1 (might be useful)

> and quotaon fails with:
>
> [root_at_vserver:vs1 /]quotaon /dev/hdv1
> quotaon: using //aquota.group on /dev/hdv1 [/]: No such device or address
> quotaon: using //aquota.user on /dev/hdv1 [/]: No such device or address
>
> Ensim issues quotaoff in one if its startup scritps and it fails with an
> error. I tested quotaon because quotaoff is symlinked to quotaon.
>
> Any ideas on the above errors?

what was the complete sequence of commands so far?

> Problem 2)
>
> Ensim installs its own httpd script in /etc/init.d and it tries to increase
> the number of files apache can have open with ulimit -n 4048 but it fails
> because the vserver ulimit -n is set at 1024 and cannot be changed inside the
> vserver. I have tried various combinations of values for ULIMIT in
> (host)/etc/vservers/vs1.conf with and without nproc in S_FLAGS and cannot
> manage to increase the ulimit -n inside the vserver.
>
> How can I increase ulimit -n inside the vserver?

well, the question should be, how can you execute
an ulimit change inside the vserver, because 'just'
raising that value will not keep the script from
trying to change it again ...

giving CAP_SYS_RESOURCE in S_CAPS= will grant this
to that vserver, but also allow to modify ANY resource
inside this server, basically wiping out vserver
security ... (so I would modify that script instead)

> Any comments and suggestions are very welcome and appreciated.
>
> PS -> Thanks for the great effort put into the vserver project!

you are welcome,

HTH,
Herbert