From: Alexander Goeres (agoeres_at_lieblinx.net)
Date: Fri 16 Jan 2004 - 13:18:11 GMT

Am Donnerstag, 15. Januar 2004 21:02 schrieb Jason Kent:
> For those of you who read my previous inquiry I've
> decided to go with 0.26 instead of 0.27 or 0.29.
>
> So far I've downloaded vserver-0.26.src.tar.gz to my
> Debian(woody) box and I have a partition (/vservers)
> where I will be running my vservers. I have
> accomplished this feit before but lost my HDD and all
> the instructions I had on the setup/install.
> Previously I used the install-pre.sh, -post.sh and
> -fix.sh files but cannot remember how I got it work. I

What are these install*.sh files good for? Are they needed to build a
*deb-package of the vserver-tars? If yes: Why?

> have tried to install this setup but end up screwing
> my initial console and sending my box into a never
> ending rebooting sequence where I am unable to recover
> it and have to start over from the debian
> installation. I am trying to show my bosses (who are
> dead against using Open Source solutions) the benifits
> of using Linux and other Open Source products to
> accomplish what they think only Microsoft can do. All
> I ask is that someone send me some instructions on
> howto setup using the install-***.sh files or even a
> link that will point me to a helpful site.
>
> .. Thanks .. Jae

All I can tell is how I set up vservers on our Debian Systems
1. get the appropriate vanilla kernel.
2. patch that kernel with the desired vserver-patches
3. compile and install it the kernel.org way: make menuconfig, make dep, make
zbImage, make modules, make modules_install, vi lilo.conf, lilo, reboot
4. get the vserver utilities: util-vserver version 0.xx
5. compile and install them
6. create the nessesary vserver config files and directories
7. install a "master" vserver with the "debian-newvserver.sh" script
8. adapt this master-vserver to my needs and make a tar.bz2 out of it
9. any time I need a new vserver I just create the appropriate config files
and directories, bunzip2.untar the archive to the vserver's directory and
adapt the new vserver to the needs: ip-address, name, motd aso.
Afterwards I enter the new vserver, update (apt-get upgrade) it and can
install whatever I want inside.

Step 1-8 takes about 1-2 hours to accomplish and is only to be done once, step
9 is done within 5-10 minutes. Even if I still moan the disappearance of the
"fakeinit" flag in the vserver config file, everything works perfectly,
without using any prepackaged *deb-files.

greetings
Alexander

agoeres _at_ lieblinx.net
tel.: +49 (0)30 / 61 20 26 87