From: Enrico Scholz (enrico.scholz_at_informatik.tu-chemnitz.de)
Date: Thu 29 Jan 2004 - 10:48:31 GMT

matt_at_possibilityforge.com (Matthew Excell) writes:

> On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 02:39, Enrico Scholz wrote:
>> matt_at_possibilityforge.com (Matthew Excell) writes:
>>
>> Seems to be the root of all evil... 'ps' (used by vps) and alpha
>> vserver-stat are accessing (and requiring) /proc/uptime which is not
>> visibly by default.
>>

> Using vproc (thanks Herbert) I put uptime back into all context procs.
> Then, following hints from strace, I put meminfo into all context procs.
>
> For future reference: vproc -e /proc/uptime; vproc -e /proc/meminfo
>
> I couldn't think of any huge security holes that would create - correct
> me if I'm wrong. . . Anyway, vps and vserver-stat run. vserver-stat
> appears to enter an endless loop - just repeating the root server and an
> unnamed server over and over.

Hmm, vserver-stat had a broken insert-into-list method but this error
should not be triggered.

>> > - vserver cannot find vserver-setup
>>
>> This indicates an incomplete installation of util-vserver (only 'make
>> install' is supported).
>>

> I used "make install" - I can find vserver-setup.functions installed,
> but no vserver-setup - and strace doesn't even show that being opened.
>
> It did show /usr/local/etc/vservers/vservername.conf being opened. I was
> using /etc/vservers/ for my config. I symlinked back to /usr/local and
> the error changed - it wasn't actually looking for vserver-setup, just
> the config file:
>
> WARNING: can not find configuration, assuming legacy method
> Can not find util-vserver installation; aborting...
>
> So now it just can't find something else. Strace showed it trying to
> open
>
> /usr/local/lib/util-vserver/legacy/util-vserver-vars

I have to admit, that the legacy part was never tested by me and it is
unlikely that it will run with 2.6.

To test the new tools I suggest to following steps:
1. mkdir -p /etc/vservers/$name/interfaces
   with $name being the name of the vserver
2. ln -s /vservers/$name /etc/vservers/$name/vdir
3. ln -s /var/run/vservers/$name /etc/vservers/$name/run
4. ln -s /var/run/vservers.rev /etc/vservers/$name/run.rev
5. create /etc/vservers/$name/fstab with at least

   none /proc proc defaults 0 0
   none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0

6. for each interface create a directory in /etc/vservers/$name/interfaces
   and the following files there
   * ip ... the ip of the interface
   * dev ... the used device (e.g. eth0)
   * prefix ... the prefix (e.g. 24), or
   * mask ... the mask (e.g. 255.255.255.0)
   * name ... the alias of the interface (optionally)

There are existing lots of other settings (ulimits, flags, hostname,
pkgmanagement, vunify, ...). Most of them are documented in
doc/configuration.xml