From: Enrico Scholz (enrico.scholz_at_informatik.tu-chemnitz.de)
Date: Thu 29 Jan 2004 - 11:06:28 GMT

[ Sorry, last mail went out before being finished; when I would have a
  dog I could say "my dog went over the keyboard" but unfortunately I do
  not have a dog and no excuse therefore ]

enrico.scholz_at_informatik.tu-chemnitz.de (Enrico Scholz) writes:

>> I couldn't think of any huge security holes that would create - correct
>> me if I'm wrong. . . Anyway, vps and vserver-stat run. vserver-stat
>> appears to enter an endless loop - just repeating the root server and an
>> unnamed server over and over.
>
> Hmm, vserver-stat had a broken insert-into-list method but this error
> should not be triggered.
>

>> WARNING: can not find configuration, assuming legacy method
>> Can not find util-vserver installation; aborting...
>>
>> So now it just can't find something else. Strace showed it trying to
>> open
>>
>> /usr/local/lib/util-vserver/legacy/util-vserver-vars
>
> I have to admit, that the legacy part was never tested by me and it is
> unlikely that it will run with 2.6.
>
> To test the new tools I suggest to following steps:
> 1. mkdir -p /etc/vservers/$name/interfaces
> with $name being the name of the vserver
> 2. ln -s /vservers/$name /etc/vservers/$name/vdir
> 3. ln -s /var/run/vservers/$name /etc/vservers/$name/run
> 4. ln -s /var/run/vservers.rev /etc/vservers/$name/run.rev
> 5. create /etc/vservers/$name/fstab with at least
>
> none /proc proc defaults 0 0
> none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
>
> 6. for each interface create a directory in /etc/vservers/$name/interfaces
> and the following files there
> * ip ... the ip of the interface
> * dev ... the used device (e.g. eth0)
> * prefix ... the prefix (e.g. 24), or
> * mask ... the mask (e.g. 255.255.255.0)
> * name ... the alias of the interface (optionally)
>

> There are existing lots of other settings (ulimits, flags, hostname,
> pkgmanagement, vunify, ...). Most of them are documented in
> doc/configuration.xml

... but this file is unreadable for most human. An XSLT stylesheet is
somewhere in my TODO list (among e.g. legacy -> current conversation
tools), but not on its top.

<hint>
When somebody wants to train his/her XML/XSLT skills, the xml-files in
doc/[1] would be a good start point... ;)
</hint>

To make it short, your issues (endless loops in vserver-stat, and broken
filelocations in legacy-part) should be solved in 0.28.190.

        http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~ensc/util-vserver/alpha/

Enrico

Footnotes:
[1] http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/util-vserver/util-vserver/doc/